Monday, May 21, 2007

a lulu of a trek



So here is a bit more about this latest adventure:

Monday - got to work super early so that I could duck out at 3 pm and head up the highway. It was beautiful weather and an easy drive to lovely Weed. At a truck stop on Highway 5, I heard this hug truckload of cattle complaining about their quarters (and, probably, the heat). I was reminded about why I want to be vegetarian and am so sad when I fail. How come it seems so much easier for Alicia Silverstone, anyhow? Dang.

Tuesday - looked over a map of Oregon during breakfast and changed my route so that I could see all the scenery around Bend. I was lucky enough to have been a camper at Camp Tamarack every summer from age 8 to 15, usually for an entire month. The mountains and lakes were just spectacular. I am pretty sure that Oregon is so blase about all of its magnificent beauty that they don't see any need to put in places for motorists to pull over and take a photo. Because I sure did not see any.

Had lunch in Sisters, and then took a detour to Lake Creek Lodge to see if Velda was there. She wasn't, but I left one of my furperson cards for her. I was tempted to drive down the dirt road to Camp Tamarack too, but the drive was taking longer than I had planned.

Arrived to Big Table Farm at last and got to meet the adorable Lulu, who was still pretty much thinking of herself as "Shadow". So wiggly and sweet. She and Clementine played together, running up and down the big old hill. I met the llama, the goats, and Chief the horse. Brian had some friends over and they set up a table outside to enjoy some incredibly yummy homemade smoked salmon and duck prosciutto along with bread and garlicky pesto dip. Clare arrived soon from the airport and soon we were eating at, indeed, a Big Table. Again, more great food and interesting conversation over dinner. I was tuckered and crashed out early.


Wednesday - In the morning, I could hear all sorts of birds and critters making noises. What a cool way to wake up. Clare had made some delish smoothies for breakfast. Farm chores ensued (by others) and then there was some solid napping (by me). Clare, Chief and I went up to a horse training place just up the road from Big Table, where this great horse / rider therapist (I forget her name, but she was great) did a session with Clare and Chief. Totally intriguing.

In the afternoon, I loaded up the darling Lulu dog into the car and headed back down the road to Weed. She looked a bit anxious as we drove out the gravel roads, but by the time we got to Yamhill (just about 10 minutes), she had curled up in a ball in the back seat and was snoring away.

I just barely sneaked into the Medford dog park before the sun set. It seemed much, much longer to Weed than I would have expected. Dang, I thought, Oregon is a big old state.

Thursday - Get up early and hit the road toward home. Lulu had no accidents or issues with staying overnight at the hotel. She's already learned "wait" and doesn't jump out of the car until I say "ok", which is a huge safety thing I like to nail right away.

Stopped over at the lovely little dog park in Redding near the private airport. Noticed that Lulu's potty business was kind of runny. Realized with dismay that I had forgotten to take some of Lulu's old food with me to mix in with the new, and so had now committed the rookie error of giving the poor pup the runs. Ack ack. Slapping forehead.

Arrived to the Bay Area in the afternoon but headed straight to Point Isabel park. Lulu was great off leash and did lots of "come here" when I called. So thrilling to have a dog who acts like a dog and is eager to please. Gave her a bath at Mud Puppies, headed home. The whole 'runs' business had me sleeping in my clothes and walking Lulu around the block at 11 pm, 1 am, 3 am, 5 am, and 6 am.

Friday - Even though I was totally fried, I screwed up some energy and concentration so I could make a non-horrible first impression on my new VP. Luckily, he was totally down to earth and also an animal person. His wife has recently rescued some little kittens that have to be bottle fed. "So she has 'sucker' written on her forehead, too?" I asked. "Oh yeah," he said.

At 11 am, Lulu passed her temperament evaluation at Every Dog Has Its Daycare with flying colors. In fact, the women there just raved about what a great dog I'd gotten. I told them that, yes, I knew it! I didn't go into all the gory details about my former doggies, who didn't ask to become as damaged as they were.

Visited the glorious Gardner and introduced Skip to Lulu and visa versa. They hit it off right away. I napped on Gardner's couch for an hour while she watched a soap. (Thank God for friends that are this easy-going!)

Got our flea meds and heartworm test at the vet, along with some antibiotics just in case the diarrhea was caused by a bug of some sort.

Saturday - More big long walks at Point Isabel. Then headed over to Alameda, visited a cool doggie store on Park and got a glamorous pink polka-dot dog collar. Met Laura and Tom at the Alameda Dog Park and threw the ball a bit. Lulu doesn't quite get how to bring the ball all the way back to the thrower just yet. She seriously gets along with every dog she meets.

Sunday - introduced Lulu to India and again, it was big doggie love fest. Had breakfast and good conversation with Porter and Joseph. Later in the day, ridiculously thrilled about seeing a firm poopie come out of Lulu. Drove up to Napa to fetch the dog crate out of my storage unit. Visited Alston dog park but didn't see Trudy or any of the other friendly regulars, probably due to the time of day.

Set up the crate in the living room and put the bed in there - and instantly, Lulu settled right in and loved her new space.

I just can't believe how responsive and dear this little furry thing is! She's a true joy.

1 comment:

Clare Carver said...

OH I just want to cry.. I can't tell you how happy this post makes me... Lulu couldn't have asked for a better home!!! thanks for this great post!! xoxo c