Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Toad in the hole!


Just proof that Wikipedia contains all.

However, the classic British version is not the dish that Camilla and I have been calling Toad in the Hole at the fabulous Boon Fly Cafe, where they have dubbed it "Poppa Joe's Eggs in a Hole". I'd like to take this chance to praise their amazing little cone of homemade donuts too. Heaven. Coma on a plate but heavenly at the moment.

I find it highly therapeutic to yell out "TOAD IN THE HOLE!" Even in the cafe, where my sister cringes just a bit when I do so. Partly because I am YELLING but also because that's just not what they call it there. It's as though I didn't get to play enough war games as a child and still want to frighten someone into a trench.

Wikipedia does define this version as one sometimes seen in the US. Makes me want to run home and try making this Brit version, though. YUM.

Funnily enough, a further google of "toad in the hole" brought me to a blog by a Berkeley person whose writing I really enjoy. Who'd a thunk?

3 comments:

ferenge mama said...

you crack me up, girl! TOAD IN A HOLE!!!

i answered your question about SBPs on my blog in the comments... thanks for asking. :-)

LOVE LOVE LOVE your new avatar.

ferenge mama said...

just realized I misspoke (miswrote?) --- it's Toad in THE Hole, not Toad in A Hole.

These things are important, no?

Kate Merriman said...

As far as the new avatar, I thought that since we are sisters, we should look more alike. :)