Monday, February 26, 2007

Austin, day 2


Sunday was as gorgeous as it gets and several locals reassured me that this is, indeed, the best time of year for weather in Austin. I figured out how to escape the whole crazy freeway system and drove around the University of Texas and then down along Duncan Park on North Lamar Blvd, where I saw lots of people out and about, dogs romping in the creek that ran parallel to me as I neared Town Lake. Dogs offleash enjoying a creek! It's a miracle!



I passed a huge REI and Whole Foods and then crossed a bridge to South Austin, where I had read that the 'weird Austin' lives strong.


There were lots of people out in kayaks and canoes on the lake having what looked like a purely delightful time.


South Austin looked like a lively, colorful mix of Chico (little bungalows) and South of Market (artistan things, funky restaurants) and Todos Santos (the color, the Mexican influence). I visited a strip of funky fabulous stores on South Congress and had a lovely lunch. I was hoping to buy some boots at Allen's, but the prices were serious, so I decided to wait until a later date. But the boots were divine. I think I may have drooled when I saw a tan pair with amazing pink detailing. I just couldn't justify $400 for them, despite their charms.



I think my favorite store was "parts & labour", which stocks things made by local artisans - handbags, melted LP bowls, jewelry. I like supporting that kind of enterprise. I fell in love with and acquired a vinyl messenger-style bag with a funny robot on it, but had to leave behind the purse with an authentic Dodge "Swinger" emblem on it. Sigh. The artisan who made my bag is Milinde Lawless.

Drove back up through downtown and saw what I found out later is the very recently imploded Intel building. (As in, they set off the explosives this morning!)



Got totally frustrated trying to navigate back to my hotel. I think the freeway up in North Austin should get a D minus on usability.




I had my lovely leftover ribs for a dinner with the Oscars, although I had to wait for them to thaw. Somehow my little refrig in the hotel room was jacked up high and froze everything. After waiting an hour or two and eating cold ribs and beans, I then of course discovered that all along there had been a microwave cleverly hidden in the cabinet above the refrigerator. Doh!

3 comments:

ferenge mama said...

Awesome post! Sounds (and looks!) like a really fun day.

(but, just checking - No gospel brunch? i was SO looking forward to hearing all about that.)

xoxo

Kate Merriman said...

What I'd written was that "if I was here with a buddy" that I'd like to go to the Gospel Brunch but that I didn't want to go by myself...

ferenge mama said...

Oh - I missed that. (Note to self: Pay attention!)

And I totally get that it would be hard to go by oneself. I'm just so darn enamored of the term "gospel brunch" I can't get over it. :-)

Can't wait to see more of Texas -- bring on the photos!!