Friday, January 19, 2007

sweetie dog

My sweetest little pal ever, Miss Velda, has gone on to the doggie park in the sky. We knew she had tons of tumors and it was just a wait-and-see thing...but it's never welcome to lose someone like that. And yes, I think of my dog as a someone. Anyhow, it got bad last night and I had to take her in to the vet.

What was good - Velda had a great quality of life right up to the last day. And the wonderful Dr. Rock Irvine got on the phone (even though it was 9 pm) to talk me through it.

I was so lucky to have this quirky goofball in my life for so many years. Smart, stubborn, independent, and, when no one was looking, very affectionate, she stole my heart completely.
This first photo is "Mother Mary Velda" at my mom's chilly house in Jacksonville, Oregon, last Christmas. She withstood my torturing her with outfits and such so patiently. Even a hoodie sweater was tolerated. Here she is also at Alston Park in Napa.
She always became fully engaged in a dig. Notice the kicky collar with the ladybugs. That was a gift from my wonderful sister.
I can't write about my feelings on this right now, since I need to keep my @(*#&$ together today at work.


2 comments:

Clare Carver said...

Miss Velde.. was the best dog and she had the best life ever thanks to you Kate!!! I know how much you will miss her she was a very special dog! I'm sure she is thanking you form dog park heaven for being such an amazing friend to her!! xoxox clare

ferenge mama said...

what a lovely tribute!!

you are such a champ for holding it together amidst chaos in your work AND personal life.

Hang in there.